The worlds longest yard sale runs through 690 miles on Route 127 from Michigan to Alabama and with 1000's of vendors it's any collectors dream shopping experience! It happens to run right by my home and as a veteran shopper to this event I have my top five tips for shopping the worlds longest yard sale.
1. This event takes place in August every year and beyond just summer it's summer in the south and that means it's HOT. Pack a cooler that you can refresh with water and snacks to stay hydrated. Many of the individual sales will offer high priced drinks and snacks but save your pennies for the deals. Thrifting and junking can take a lot out of you in the sun so be ready to replenish yourself!
2. Have plenty of cash available. Some vendors have apps and equipment to be able to accept credit cards but almost none will accept personal checks. Cash is king at yard sales. Not only for the sales but you will encounter many places that you will need to pay for parking. Remember that Route 127 is often rural and if people can make a few bucks off of their land for parking they rightfully take advantage of it. But, be smart and keep your money on you. Carry a cross body bag or even a fanny pack (yes, you read that right!) to keep your money close to you and not on display.
3. Be prepared. Traveling 600 miles or any long stretch of the Route 127 yard sale means lots of time in your vehicle. Make sure that your car is in condition to take the journey. Get your oil changed and start on a full tank paying attention to where you are and if you should fill up. Use Gas Buddy to find the best deals, it may take you off 127 but it may be worth it in savings. Also, make sure you have room for your purchases! If your dream piece takes a lot of space you won't want to pass it by because you didn't have enough room to take it home. Also, make sure that you have a car charger for your phone and even an external charger. The chances of you finding wifi are slim to none and that is a drain on your battery.
4. Dress for comfort. I love my flip flops but the longest yard sale calls for shoes with a little more support and protection. You are doing a lot of walking and at many of your location stops you are on unpaved surfaces, farms, yards that are slightly off the beaten path. I would even suggest keeping an extra pair of shoes in your car in case weather decides to make things muddy. Hats and sunglasses are also a must. With the sun beating down on you not only will you need a little relief. But, it will help you see without a glare which comes in handy while sifting through junk in the sun!
Speaking of the sun, make sure you have your sunscreen on and some bug spray for your ankles isn't a bad idea either!
5. Be on the lookout for what you love by being social. This means when you see a vendor with items that strike your fancy ask them questions. They often will have a tips for who to visit next. Don't forget about social media. I don't mean take a selfie at every stop but if you search for the longest yard sale by using the hashtags on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter you can see real time updates, pictures of booths and sets ups to help you find things that you otherwise may have missed! The official hashtag is #127yardsale but #longestyardsale and #worldslongestyardsale also bring up some gems.
If you pass though Kentucky be on the lookout for me! Can't wait to see what goodies you find this year!